Monday, October 26, 2009

CARD Job: A FULFILLING MISSION

CARD Job: A FULFILLING MISSION

“In every definition of a successful life must always include service to others..”

I’ve been working in one of the biggest microfinance institution in ASIA for almost four years. The nature of the works entails direct exposure with the women clientele living below the poverty line.
Difficulties are indeed part of the job. Taking sleep very late in the evening, Extending office hours due to call of duty, Imposing social pressure, encountering different kinds of people whose ideologies are far beyond the institution's beliefs, facing repayment problems, living in contrast with the peers perception and a lot others.CARD job also means being assigned to a place which is beyond your choice, but dedication sways you there. These are just few examples of what we call a “natural agony” while in Card. “Natural” because these are form parts of the job, “agony” in the sense that nobody wants it to happen yet it comes constantly. Despite of these, life in CARD still have to go on, all for the reason of service. Once I asked one of my staff when we were together in a difficult branch, “why resigning is not among your choices despite our condition?” She just gave me a glimpse of smile as her answer. Then I asked the same to myself, I just nodded my head and the reasons came clear.
Life in Card is not a job despite the contract. It is neither a sacrifice despite the hardships nor a joke despite the giddy times. Life with CARD is more on a mission being done, a call of service being undertaken, and a promising professional- destiny being worked out. I recalled all struggles I have met when I was neophyte in this job and they affirmed the reasons all the more. My presence, in fact, everyone’s presence is important to other people.
CARD vision is for the poorest among the poor; giving hope in dire need, bringing wisdom in bleakness, and providing alternative amidst fiscal struggles of many. These visions cannot be realized without the grace and willingness of every staff. Benefits and salaries are never enough to compensate one’s hard experiences while in encounter with the members. True enough that allowances and some remunerations cannot bridge the distant gap from families of those assigned far from their homes. Everything happens for the members. Whenever I see them smiling at me with their eyes glittering in satisfaction to the services we give, I feel relieved from heavy works. These and a lot more reasons to make me stay and enjoy my work, but ultimately, I found the realizations of my own visions in Card. The vision of serving the poor and the needy. The vision of living simple with the people. In foregoing my mission as a priest, I know enough that my mission stands still by joining Card in its pursuit to uplift the life of the people. And this gives me more than enough reasons to be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...